maanantai 10. marraskuuta 2014

Opening and closing doors – Aukeavat ja sulkeutuvat ovet

I've always thought that I'm quite practical person, so I was quite surprised when I realized that I like writings of great philosophers (I'm writing my dissertation at the moment). Here is an extract of Gaston Bachelard's book 'The Poetics of Space' that I really like:

"How concrete everything becomes in the world of the spirit when an object, a mere door, can give images of hesitation, temptation, desire, security, welcome and respect. If one were to give an account of all the doors one has closed and opened, of all the doors one would like to re-open, one would have to tell the story of one's entire life. But is he who opens a door and he who closes it the same being?" Gaston Bachelard, The Poetics of Space

I feel that this is true in my own life. I've open and closed some doors on purpose, and sometimes doors have closed by accident. And after that life has gone in to certain direction. When I moved to England it was supposed to be one year experiment, but now this is my third year here. One of the things I like here are the misty and foggy weathers, there is something mystical and fascinating in them. These images were taken in a foggy night in Farnham. 



































Olen pitänyt itseäni aika käytännöllisenä ihmisenä, joten hieman yllätyin, kun innostuin filosofien kirjoituksista (kirjoitan parhaillaan tutkielmaa). Tässä katkelma Gaston Bachelardin kirjasta The Poetics of Space, josta tykkään kovasti:

"How concrete everything becomes in the world of the spirit when an object, a mere door, can give images of hesitation, temptation, desire, security, welcome and respect. If one were to give an account of all the doors one has closed and opened, of all the doors one would like to re-open, one would have to tell the story of one's entire life. But is he who opens a door and he who closes it the same being?" Gaston Bachelard, The Poetics of Space

Koen, että tämä pitää paikkansa omassa elämässäni. Olen tarkoituksella avannut ja sulkenut joitakin ovia, mutta joskus se on tapahtunut myös erehdyksessä. Ja sen jälkeen elämä on mennyt tiettyyn suuntaan. Englantiin muuttokin oli tarkoitus olla alun perin yhden vuoden kokemus, mutta olen täällä nyt kolmatta vuotta. Yksi niistä asioista joista tykkään täällä, on sumuiset englantilaiset säät, koska niissä on jotain mystistä ja kiehtovaa. Nämä kuvat on otettu yhtenä sumuisena yönä Farnhamissa. 

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti