sunnuntai 6. huhtikuuta 2014

Interview: Fashion Photographer Louise Samuelsen


I interviewed lovely London-based fashion photographer Louise Samuelsen couple weeks ago. She is originally from Denmark and she has worked in Copenhagen, New York and London. Later in the spring she is flying off to Morocco to do fashion photoshoots. We talked about for example how her career started, and what kind of advice she would give to young photographers, who are starting their careers. 


















Photos: Louise Samuelsen, louisesamuelsen.com


How did your career start?

I studied marketing and maths, but I always knew that I loved photography. I met this guy in Copenhagen and he worked as an assistant in a place called Schiller. It was a community of photographers, it had six studios and 25 photographers. All different type of photographers, fashion, portrait, advertising, cars, still life... He asked, why don´t you come there and offer you help for free. And I did that for about three months, and then someone left and I got offered a position. So I started assisting a still life photographer and this was back, when we used 4 x 5, 8 x 10 film. It was really interesting start actually. Not something that I would have thought I´d really like... shooting still life, but it was good. 

What kind of advices would you give to those, who are starting their careers? 

I think, gather as much experience, from loads of different people, as you can. Obviously you need to know, what you like and what you don´t like. If you´ve got and idea, where you want to go, then it´s clearer. I worked for loads of photographers, I went to New York and assisted probably about 15 to 16 different photographers. I spent three years in New York assisting and shooting. It was probably the best experience, because they were all very talented people and they were all very different. You learn a lot, in terms of clients, lighting, technical stuff etc. If you are going to start assisting and gathering experience, great way is to get to know other assistants. If you get a good relationship going, they´re going to recommend you and your name gets out there. And obviously you shoot as much as you can.  

How did you find your clients?

Well, I´m blessed, I´ve got really lovely clients. and loads of them I´ve had for six or seven years. And it almost becomes friendship after a while. I´m really lucky, that I´ve worked with really nice people... If you´re name gets passed on, then you know it´s going to be a good day, because you got recommended. But obviously I get work through my agents, they are clients, that I´ve never met before. In those first two hours you need to get to know each other and get to know, what do they like, what do they want. Sometimes client might not say, that actually this is great, we´ve got what we wanted. So you´ve have to learn how to read people. If the client is not happy, we change the hair, make-up or lighting... we do something different.

What equipment are you usually using?

I mainly shoot digital now, I used to use medium format, Mamiya 67. I still have that and occasionally I shoot a roll of film. I shoot with Canon Eos Mark III. And occasionally I like shooting Polaroids as well, I´ve got SX 70 and newer Fuji Polaroid camera.  

Where do you get your inspiration?

I do research a lot online. I like looking at the older stuff, go to flea markets, looking through old books... I especially love the 70´s, the make-up, the hair and clothing. I like to see exhibitions. I also like following couple of these street style blogs, there is lot inspirations to get there as well... I like to shoot things that are quite wearable, and actually work in real life. 

How finished ideas do you have when you start shooting?

It varies. Sometimes I like to tone up, obviously knowing that I´ve got the right team, hair, make-up and a good model is obviously essential... and a stylist, if you don´t have that, the image can be little bit unsatisfying. Sometimes I have a clear idea, how I want to light the image and how the finished image is going to look like. But most often it sort of just happens on the shoot. I don´t get too locked in to an idea, because sometimes you feel you don´t get it. And other times you just will. I like the working progress of it. So I sort of shoot my way in to it, figuring out how I´m going to get the shot. 

What kind of techniques are you using?

I like using daylight a lot, but obviously most of the time you don´t have much of that, so I like to light image looking like there´s daylight. And I like using constant light I like mixing the colors as well. I don´t like when It looks too ‘flashed’. Saying that what I do like on camera flash, is really punchy flash, if the image needs a flash that what I usually go. I like mirrors as well. 

Do you usually like to work with the same team?

I obviously have a bunch of people I love working with, super talented and lovely. But on occasion it is great to switch things up and add a new person on the team, the energy changes and magic happens.... 

Photos: Louise Samuelsen
Interview: Jonna Pennanen

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti